Northern Regional Centre proposes to take new initiatives to expand its activities and reach to the unreached ones.
- Organize Northern Regional Social Science Congress every year to debate issues of relevance in social science research in the region.
- Circulate posters of NRC activities and initiatives to all colleges and universities in the Region, with soft copies, announcing some of the activities that will be supported by the Regional Centre and encouraging study and seminar proposals from these institutions and organizations.
- Institute state-wise prizes for the best doctoral dissertation in each one of the social science disciplines, based on the best theses decided by each of the concerned universities – the award may be instituted in English and the concerned regional language.
- Encourage students to organize thematic graduate seminars at the university level on a rotatory basis between universities in the region.
- And/or this may also be conceptualized as a Young Social Scientists colloquium organized on an annual basis where students enrolled in a Ph.D. programme interact with senior social scientists.
- Organization of annual workshops at one university in the region on “Research Methods and Techniques’, which will also include a couple of lectures on writing research papers, proposals and presentations for general as well with special emphasis on candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and other Marginalized groups.
- Establishing a “research scholar rooms” at the NRC, where three computers with connectivity to important data bases, JSTOR and electronic libraries of Delhi are available to research students from smaller towns and mofussil colleges visiting Delhi for their research.
- As with the universities, ICSSR Research Institutes could also be encouraged to play a proactive role in this outreach programme.
- Study Grant scheme is likely to expand to include financial assistance: to collect field data, to attend national conferences in India to present a full paper duly evaluated by the Centre.
- Research projects* in social sciences to the tune of Rs.100,000.
Organized Lecture/Special Lectures/Memorial Lecture by eminent Social Scientists/awardees of ICSSR Armatya Sen Awards